Accenture’s managing director of global payments Gareth Wilson just released his 2019 predictions for the world of finance. Wilson says he expects major growth for Ripple and new adoption for Bitcoin and Ethereum. He also believes central banks will take a big turn toward using distributed ledger technology (DLT).
Here’s a look at some of Wilson’s key predictions that relate to cryptocurrency and blockchain technology.
• Ripple’s network for cross-border transactions will continue to grow significantly, attracting more banks and corporates, leading to rising transaction volumes.
• Central banks around the world will warm to the idea of issuing their fiat currency on distributed ledger technology, and at least one will have concrete plans to implement the technology.
• Although most banks will still shun Bitcoin, expect to see cash management products appear that use Bitcoin and Ethereum, and are aimed at corporate treasurers.
• Biometrics such as facial, voice and hand-movement recognition, now robust enough for mass use, will be adopted by banks and fintechs as a weapon in the consumer experience battle, and also for securing cryptocurrency wallets.
• The fusion of instant payments and open banking will generate new payment methods and schemes and replace card payments in the long run.
You can check out the full list of predictions here.[the_ad id="42537"] [the_ad id="42536"]