Mainstream Spotlight on Crypto and Blockchain at SXSW in Austin, Texas
South by Southwest (SXSW), an annual conglomerate of film, interactive media, music festivals and tech conferences, rolled out their lineup for next year’s event. The 2019 SXSW Conference announced more than 600 confirmed sessions in 25 different tracks. It will take place from March 8 – March 17, 2019 at the Austin Convention Center.
Two of the most interesting tracks for 2019, according to Hugh Forrest, chief programming officer, are blockchain & cryptocurrency and cannabusiness, with a slate of sessions.
As a major venue that attracts nearly half a million people, including pop icons, social media influencers, YouTube personalities and filmmakers from around the world, SXSW is the kind of transformative event that drags crypto and blockchain out of the computer science labs and exposes it to Main Street during a 10-day event.
The annual gathering of music and movie fans, which kicked off in 1987, has grown in size and scale. Approximately 432,500 people participated in the SXSW Conference & Festivals in 2018, which incorporated more tech topics to bridge mainstream pop culture with the digital economy.
The SXSW music event is the largest music festival of its kind in the world, with over 2,000 featured artists, while the film event has over 400 screenings. Blockchain and crypto interest has swelled with an upcoming lineup of over 20 sessions.
2019 SXSW Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Track Sessions
- The Arsenal of a Blockchain Developer
- Be The Blockchain: A Game Experience For Newcomers
- Blockchain Governance: Challenges and Opportunity
- Block(chain)-the-Vote: Mobile Voting by Blockchain
- Blockchain vs VC: Democratizing Access to Capital
- Can Blockchain Save Publishing?
- Combating Global Poverty on the Blockchain
- Cryptoeconomics 101: Beyond Tokens
- Cryptoeconomics in 30 Minutes: A Crash Course
- CryptoKitties: Craze, Community, and What’s Next
- Designing for Blockchain: 3 Ways to Dive In
- Featured Session: Kyle Samani, Linda Xie, Ari Paul with Robert Hackett
- Featured Session: Neha Narula, Jimmy Song, Christopher Ferris with Cesare Fracassi
- Featured Speaker: David Schwartz with Sara Silverstein
- Healthcare & Blockchain: A Practical Introduction
- HODLing On to Crypto and Blockchain Journalism
- ICOs: The Next Generation
- IP, Brand & Blockchain: Business on the Block
- Made in China: Crypto, Exchanges, Trust and More
- Regulating the Blockchain
- Reimagine Family Through Technology
- The Token Economy: Digitizing Real-World Assets
- Value and Art In A Tokenized World
- Why VCs Have Joined the Block Party
More than 66 countries participated in 2018 with performers, media and lecturers from around the world, along with several crypto sessions that featured speakers from ConsenSys, MIT Media Lab, Smart Dubai Office, IBM and Pantera.