WhatsApp users can now send and receive Bitcoin (BTC), Litecoin (LTC) and Ethereum (ETH) to each other using the Lite.im messaging bot. Blockchain ecosystem Zulu Republic has announced that its Lite.im bot gives users a simple interface with instructions on how to make crypto transactions. By adding the Lite.im WhatsApp bot and then selecting from a list of commands, users can perform a number of options with leading cryptocurrencies.
The WhatsApp integration is a new boost for cryptocurrency. With 1.5 billion users, WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in the world. According to 99firms.com, the app attracts one million new registered users each day with mobile messages being sent in over 180 countries.
- WhatsApp has 1.5 billion active users in over 180 countries.
- The average user checks WhatsApp more than 23 times per day.
- 58% of users access WhatsApp several times per day
- The number of WhatsApp users in the US is predicted to grow to 25.6 million by 2021.
- WhatsApp is the third most downloaded Android app in the world.
- There are three million companies using WhatsApp Business app.
In addition to Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum, the Lite.im crypto gateway allows users to select Zulu’s native cryptocurrency, ZTX, as a default.
Lite.im facilitates crypto transactions on multiple messaging apps including Facebook Messenger, Telegram and regular text messages. Zulu Republic describes its SMS-based cryptocurrency transaction platform as the “easiest way to buy and use Bitcoin.”
Now this is what’s up, @WhatsApp!
— Ryan Negri (@RyanNegri) May 19, 2019
The platform also rewards users $0.10 in BTC per referral to a friend.
Zulu Republic plans to make it even easier to send cryptocurrencies on WhatsApp by adding QR code scanning functionalities down the road.