Tether chief technology officer Paolo Ardoino is addressing a recent depegging of USDT, the largest stablecoin in the world by market cap.
Over the weekend, USDT appeared to lose its peg to the dollar, briefly trading as low as $0.94 on Binance.US.
However, Ardoino clarifies that USDT never actually lost its peg to the dollar, but that liquidity issues on Binance.US’ platform caused a price discrepancy unrelated to the stablecoin itself.
Ardoino, also CTO of crypto exchange Bitfinex, says that Binance.US is likely having trouble finding enough market makers due to its ongoing legal issues, making it difficult to keep its markets liquid, consequently creating exaggerated volatility.
“I saw few accounts overnight suggesting that since USDT is trading below par on Binance.us then USDT is depegging…
Here are the facts
– Binance.us is going through some legal challenges so it probably doesn’t have many market makers willing to arbitrage at this moment in time. On Binance.com USDT is trading 1bps (basis point) above the dollar.
– Tether is in charge of its primary market (Tether.to). Market making secondary markets (crypto exchanges) is the role of arbitrageurs and market making professionals.
– BTC/USD trades at $27,600 there ($30,100 on other exchanges).
– Seems there is a general spread of ~8%.
– Does it mean that BTC is also worth less globally? Of course not. Same logic applies.
– Do the math on the spread for BTC/USD and USDT/USD and you get pretty much the same percentage”
Binance.US is in the midst of a battle with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and is currently attempting to prevent the regulator from seizing its assets. The SEC originally sued the crypto exchange last month, alleging that it was selling unregistered securities.Don't Miss a Beat – Subscribe to get email alerts delivered directly to your inbox
Check Price Action
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Telegram
Surf The Daily Hodl Mix
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed at The Daily Hodl are not investment advice. Investors should do their due diligence before making any high-risk investments in Bitcoin, cryptocurrency or digital assets. Please be advised that your transfers and trades are at your own risk, and any loses you may incur are your responsibility. The Daily Hodl does not recommend the buying or selling of any cryptocurrencies or digital assets, nor is The Daily Hodl an investment advisor. Please note that The Daily Hodl participates in affiliate marketing.
Generated Image: Midjourney
Featured Image: Shutterstock/WindAwake